Thursday, 19 February 2009

Wine Entry 1: 2006 Alamos Pinot Noir Selection


First, a brief introduction to Pinot Noir:

To describe Pinot Noir is to focus on texture and aroma. It is smooth and silky, with subtle, elegant, almost elusive aromas. Pinot Noir is often described as being a "difficult" grape,to grow,to deal with in the winery,and to find truly great examples of, but fans are passionate about this veriety,as sensually expressed by the dialogue between Miles and Maya in the 2004 movie "Sideway"

That was a general introduction for Pinot Noir, as for the stuff I drank today (alongside Salmon) reviews were as followed:

Alamos Pinot Noir 2006 is an elegant, delicate and complex wine. Of a red garnet color, the nose is fresh with crisp cherry and strawberry flavors interwoven with candied fruit aromas and spice. Oak aging adds subtle vanilla and liqueur notes. On the palate, an initial sweetness leads to a complex, unctuous, light-structured wine, with soft, round tannins and a long, persistent finish.

Lastly, for my own opinion, what I taste from the wine is a fruity aroma (though cant feel the cherry or strawberry), it goes down smoothly, but the finish was with a high spice content (for me) and somewhat I can't identify what spices were in it. Somewhat sour, but theres also a little sweetness in it. The color was ruby red, not dark yet not light, in the middle. Well, for a noobish wine taster as me, I shall try more wine and of course, less complicated wine such as Merlot as compose to the more sophisticated Pinot Noir. I enjoy it, but however, I can't tell what's in it. It takes practise I guess. The 3 wines that still roam through my mind are Riunite Lambrousco, De Bortolli's Black Noble and Brown Brothers Moscato. They gave me a pretty deep impression and the taste are still lingering around my busy packed mind. Ah well, thanks for reading everyone ^_^